Chris's Mission Photo

Chris's Mission Photo

Welcome to Elder Carey's Blog

Elder Chris Carey 計長老
China Hong Kong Mission
18 Dorset Crescent
Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
Kowloon, Hong Kong







Famous statue in Hong Kong

Famous statue in Hong Kong
Great Art where ever you look

Need a snack?

Need a snack?
The daily staples

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas
Never ending gold Buddas

High 5 with the Big Budda

High 5 with the Big Budda
Enjoying P-day

Unity on the Island

Unity on the Island
The Macau Zone

Incredible Place

Incredible Place
Hong Kong Heritage

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What a sad week for Elder Wing

Hey Everyone!

This week has been pretty intense! For many reasons actually but I'll just mention a few today. For each day of Church this past week, they rebroadcasted the Saturday Sessions of General Conference for all the Sisters and that was Church everyday. It was so sweet! If we had invetigators there, we were able to sit in and watch with them. For most of the days, we had people there and it was so cool to be able to get recharged each and every day from the Prophets and Apostles! Oh man, it was awesome! We really are so lucky to be able to attend Church every single day and feel of that Spirit we always feel on the Sabbath. It really is too difficult to describe. So, last P-Day I was fitted for a suit and I'll be able to get a couple fittings for it before it's all said and done, so I'm pretty excited about that. Also, I'm planning to do some Christmas shopping today for you guys, so be ready for a package coming in the near future. Hopefully you guys don't mind what I send and I'll just kind of going by what I think you'd like. Don't worry, no shirts this year. Well, maybe for Dad. You've slimmed down, right? You'll probly be able to fit in a medium Hong Kong size, right? Cool, sounds good. Haha! Just kidding.
Well, on a more spiritual note, Sister Heni from Indonesia was Baptized on Wednesday and she was SO full of smiles and happy! I've never seen her this happy about something before! The Gospel really does change people's countenances. I know this is true. It's changed mine since I've been out here and I don't know how I would have made it if it weren't for this Mission. This has changed my life in so many ways. I don't even know where to begin. Many of our recent converts are saying how badly they want their children to go on Missions. They say that as soon as they go back to the Philippines or Indonesia they will start preparing their children for Missions. They've continued bearing their testimonies and being the example the Savior would have them be. We always promise them these two basic things even though they're not with their families that their families can still partake of the blessings of the Gospel. Whether clear across the world, or just south a few hours, our example and our Testimony makes a difference in people's lives. We had some unforgettable lessons this past week. Some of these Sisters just CAN'T WAIT to get out of the house and get to the Church so they can feel at peace and worship their Savior. It's sad to hear some of their stories; how they are treated and the things they have to go through with some of these employers. It really is a sad thing, but once they get to the Church, everything outside is forgotten. Everything is dropped, and they just have this BIG smile on their face and love in their hearts for the Gospel. When we have lessons with them it's often the same as well. Testifying to them of the divinity of this work and that they are indeed a beloved, precious daughter of our Father in Heaven makes it all worth it. Some of them have to travel a great distance each week just to come to the Church in Wan Chai but always express how happy they are to be there and how blessed they are to have the Gospel in their lives. The faith of these Sisters amazes me each day. It has truly taken my faith and increased it by immense amounts!
This next week we have another Baptism. Her name is Jeaneth, and she's probly one of my favorite Sisters we've taught here in International. She really is just so down to earth, loves God and knows exactly why she needs to be baptized. Everything that happens here is all almost too good to be true! I'm telling you right now, I've never been more tired in my life but it's definitely worth seeing the outcome of your hard work.
Baptisms ARE NEVER easy! NEVER!
I hate it when missionaries say they had an easy baptism. There is always opposition. There is always temptations that face each person before they make that sacred covenant with Heavenly Father but through Christ, ANYTHING is possible.
Temptations?! PSH! Nothing.
You have to WORK in missionary work. It's not an easy thing to do. It's taken me a long time to realize but I'm grateful I finally did. Each person is different. Some just may be more prepared than others but no one is "easy." Thanksgiving Day was pretty fun here. We had a pretty big Turkey Bowl with a bunch of Elders and then had a Mission wide capture the flag game! They put the Zone Leaders in charge of each team. There were five and we were assigned the people that were on our team. Yeah...we won. Ha! It was so much fun though! We played on this GIANT field and really just had a blast! Then, we went back to Kowloon Tong and had a feast with everyone. Sister Chan and the office Missionaries made a nice Thanksgiving meal for everyone. It was outta this world good! Still not as good as yours mom, so don't get jealous. At least I think it wasn't...I can't really remember anymore. Sorry...ha!
So, this is the week that Elder Wing has had to say goodbye to everyone...and he's not been enjoying it too much. I don't blame him. I can't even think about that time for me. It makes me sick to my stomach. He REALLY did not want to say goodbye to these people and I don't want to either but it has to come eventually. It's been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. Last night was the fireside for all the Missionaries going home and it was pretty intense. It had a lot of people in tears, me included and just seeing everyone who you've been serving with the past two years finally end is just, unbelievable. I can't even think about it anymore. It makes me sad.
So, on that note, maybe I'll comment a bit on what you guys have been up to. We get around 1600 HK per month for food, traveling, personal needs, etc. It's never enough but that's ok. I've learned how to buy only the necessities out here so maybe I can apply that when I get home...maybe. Ha! Just kidding. Don't worry, you know I will.
I can't believe the Open House will be on the 14th! How perfect! But that's also pretty sad about Stake Conference...I am pretty bummed about it to be honest. But, if you'd like me to speak in Stake Conference, I can do that but I'll be nervous up the YING YANG! It's all good though.
Heavenly Father will provide. So, that's about all I have got for this week.
Just know and NEVER FORGET, I am always thinking of you guys. Even when you think I'm not....I am. I promise. I love you guys. I really do. You're all the best and I hope and pray you all have a great week!
Stay strong and until next week...Do what you do!

Love Always-
Elder Carey

1 comment:

The Careys said...

I am sending my companion home. I dread my time. It is coming way to FAST!