Chris's Mission Photo

Chris's Mission Photo

Welcome to Elder Carey's Blog

Elder Chris Carey 計長老
China Hong Kong Mission
18 Dorset Crescent
Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
Kowloon, Hong Kong







Famous statue in Hong Kong

Famous statue in Hong Kong
Great Art where ever you look

Need a snack?

Need a snack?
The daily staples

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas
Never ending gold Buddas

High 5 with the Big Budda

High 5 with the Big Budda
Enjoying P-day

Unity on the Island

Unity on the Island
The Macau Zone

Incredible Place

Incredible Place
Hong Kong Heritage

Thursday, June 23, 2011

I love this work SOO much

Hey Everyone!
Oh my goodness, what an amazing week it's been! I love this work SOO much! I don't think there's any other actual work on the Earth that brings one more joy than this!...and what's even better is it's a volunteer job! Ha! Each day, even though you're sticking to your purpose and doing pretty much the same thing, still brings new experiences never had before! It really is indescribable! I feel bad you guys HAD to go to Ruth Chris and suffer through that. Just so ya know, if you'd like of course, I'd be more than happy to take your place for you when I get back. No, no, no, don't thank me. No need. Just tell me when and I'll be there. Haha! Boy, you guys really are quite good to the Missionaries in the Ward. I'm POSITIVE they just love you to death! There's no reason not to! That's pretty neat you got to attend Robbie's Wedding Mom and Dad! I've attended a few weddings here and they're pretty different in many ways. The clothes especially. I don't know how to describe it...it's just different. I love going to weddings though. They're so much fun and it's so awesome to see two people who really love each other and are willing to make that sacred trust and bond. I'm SUPER stoked to see you get married Steph! You have no idea! I tell EVERYONE here about you and Bobby and how awesome you guys are! Honestly, you have no idea how much I brag about you guys. I love doing it. I couldn't be more proud of my only sibling, my older sister, and her fiancee. What a happy time in your guys' life.
Seriously, I can't believe the progress the Church has made! It's gone up so fast! So does it look bigger than the other one or is it the same layout and floorplan, or what? Let me know! I'm pretty stoked I'll be one of the first ones to HOPEFULLY give my homecoming talk in it.
"OK LA" just means ok. When people speak Cantonese, they always put a "la" at the end of each phrase or sentence. Not always. Depending on the context of the sentence and how you want the sentence to sound. But a lot of the time "la" is used. Dallin's getting home! That's so amazing! Oh man, I'm so happy for him! I'm sure he just completely tore it up!...in a good way obviously. Man, he's been such a good friend to me. I'm excited to see him again. I've often thought about him out here and tell other Missionaries about him and how good of friends we are. Lans Drake is heading out too?! SWEET! That is seriously so cool that he's set that goal, and I know through the power of faith and the will of the Lord, he WILL accomplish it! I can testify that goals really do turn into success and growing opportunities. If there's anywhere that I've learned that, it's out here FOR SURE! CLAYTON'S GOING OUT TOO! YEAH! What a blessing he will be to his family and those he serves for doing this work. I promise that he will never know the amount of positive influence he will have on those in the areas he serves. He is such a great example and leader. I'm so happy and proud for him. He really will bring others to a rememberance of their Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. So, I'm actually gonna be leaving for Hong Kong again today because my 30 days are up, so I have to leave and come back, which then I'll HOPEFULLY get at least another 20. It always differs. I'll let you guys know though. I'm gonna be staying in Patron Housing again tonight with another Elder who's going back with me because his 20 days are up. I'm pretty excited because Patron Housing has a pretty intense shower that just falls from the ceiling, instead of a dinky little hose thing we have to use every day in the bath tub. It's quite a treat! So, while I'm there, I'll also check on the packages to see if they're there because they weren't last time I went, so hopefully they'll be there today. Oh, I actually saw that object lesson at the EFY I went to in Provo. An instructor did it during a lesson. I had a lot of people come up to me afterward and say how funny it was. I was right after we had lunch, so everyone was kinda sleepy and out of it but then they certainly woke right up when I did that. I think that got them to pay attention during my sharing as well at least a little more than if I wouldn't have done it. That's why I love object lessons. That's so cool that you guys are starting the summer reading challenge again for the Ward! I so remember doing the reading challenge and then going to Bishop's Lake House and just having a blast ALL DAY for the reward! It was honestly so much fun and I am really grateful for the lessons I learned from the Book Of Mormon at a younger age that helped prepare me for this mission in life. This week was also the first week of the move, so I was in charge of Zone Meeting on Monday and we went over our goals we set as a Zone for the month, talked about what we can do to improve on this next move, and I also gave a little sharing on the importance of power and authority. That was one thing Elder Holland said that all Missionaries need to work on. So, we talked about ways we as a Zone can really show those we teach, contact, and meet that we really have power and authority to preach this Gospel. That includes being bold ALL THE TIME, remembering the sacred nature of our calling, and teaching as if Christ was sitting right next to us. I KNOW if we focus on these things as we go into this next move, we will see MAJOR impovements and TONS of success! That's a promise from a General Authority and Apostle of the Lord, who loves each and every one of us so much. Elder Lau and I were able to contact this FAMILY across the way from our apartment and schedule them for last night. It was really such a good lesson! They have two little girls, one who's 11 and one who's 7. They are SOO adorable! While we were there, we did a lot of introducing and getting to know each other. I told them all about you guys and how grateful I was for my own family. I could see it in their eyes that they know how important families are and that the connection with the Gospel and families was starting to click. They were all Buddhist and didn't really know anything about Christ or Heavenly Father. We talked about the importance of having a Father in Heaven and how we, as families, can pray to Him ALWAYS! Not just thorugh certain prayers that are recited or at certain times of the day, like they had heard before. What a tremendous blessing it was to meet them and see this glow in their eyes beginning to develop. You could tell that they were very interested and yearned for more. We hope to give it to them.
Brothers and Sisters, I know that the Gospel doesn't only change perceptions, it changes lives. We just have to be humble enough to let it happen. Heavenly Father is just WAITING so earnestly to shower limitless blessings upon us, but it is our job to be worhty of those so needed blessings. I know that this Church is much more than a Church. It really is a lifestyle that one obtains not only in this life but in the life to come as well. I love this Mission, I love this Work, and I love every single person I've come in contact with here. Despite all the random persecution, it makes my love for them grow even more. I love each and every one of you as well. My heart is full and I can't wait to see what the future brings. Until next week...Do what you do!
Love Always-
Elder Carey

1 comment:

The Careys said...

I love this work SOO much! I don't think there's any other actual work on the Earth that brings one more joy than this!...and what's even better is it's a volunteer job!