Chris's Mission Photo

Chris's Mission Photo

Welcome to Elder Carey's Blog

Elder Chris Carey 計長老
China Hong Kong Mission
18 Dorset Crescent
Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
Kowloon, Hong Kong







Famous statue in Hong Kong

Famous statue in Hong Kong
Great Art where ever you look

Need a snack?

Need a snack?
The daily staples

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas
Never ending gold Buddas

High 5 with the Big Budda

High 5 with the Big Budda
Enjoying P-day

Unity on the Island

Unity on the Island
The Macau Zone

Incredible Place

Incredible Place
Hong Kong Heritage

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I am now leaving Macau. Visa has expired so the government says

Hey Everyone!
First off, let me just say how sweet it was to see Dallin's pictures with you guys and Sarah! Man that's so awesome! He's still the same Dallin I remember! I'm sure he just lit it up on his Mission and is getting ready to do the same now that he's home. Honestly, I kinda feel bad for him because he's not out here in the field anymore...I mean I think he can agree with me on this one, but being out here is honestly one of the greatest experiences you'll ever have in your entire lifetime. So many things are indescribable and that makes it one of the most sacred experiences one will ever have. I love it out here so so much! That's pretty cool to hear about Robbie's wedding and see a picture from it! Hopefully I'll get to see him when I get back and congratulate him personally. Even though we weren't the tightest in high school, we're still from the same ward and same scout troop. That's a brotherhood right there! He still looks like the same Robbie Park I remember and I hope he keeps it that way. How awesome that was mom that you got to help the Missionaries fellowship during a first lesson! That can be one of the most spiritual experiences of a Missionary, or one of those things that you never want to get use to reciting because it is so special. I won't EVER let myself get complacent with the hundreds of times I have shared the First Vision. The Spirit enters the heart of the Missionary and the listener, whether it be on the busy street with cars flying by, people bumping you left and right, yelling at you to go home and quit wasting your time (which actually just happened to me yesterday...Haha!), or in the safety and comfort of a nice chapel. No matter the environment, so long as you let it, the Spirit will be there and Testify again and again and again the truthfulness of the Restoration. It really is such a blessing to be able to share it with people so often each day. The best way to help those come to know of God, The Father, and His son, Jesus Christ, really truly do exist is through the First Vision. I've never studied something more in my life than that single experience...school included. OK, well that's not hard because I didn't study as well as I should've in school, but still.
That's so funny she also mentioned how young she thought the missionaries were! When I was looking at the pictures you guys sent, I showed them to the other Elders here and they were completely FLOORED! Myself included! We seriously thought they were no older than Deacons or AT MOST Teachers! There's no better place to grow up and look older than serving a Mission, that's for sure! That really would be great if you could keep me posted on her progression and spiritual journey! Thanks! How amazing that you were invited, through divine revelation, to speak before the Women's Pull on TREK! If there is one experience I remember more than any other on TREK, it's the Women's Pull! NO DOUBT! It was killing me, along with each and every other guy standing there just watching the women pull those carts. For me, there was so much symbolism in that very act alone. It goes to show that a woman is not able to carry the load alone, but with the help of a faithful husband/father, anything is possible, so long as they work together. That's just part of what I thought of. Also of course just flat out how much we wanted to help them and have them rest the ENTIRE WAY BACK! Definitely, one of the most emotional parts of TREK. I know you'll do a marvelous job mom! This was given to you from the Lord, through our Stake President, and He KNOWS you're the best one for the job! HE KNOWS! That's so good you guys were able to celebrate your anniversary as well! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! I promise I'll be there next year for it and be able to congratulate you guys in person! Pretty sweet you guys also got to go to a Mariners Game and catch a foul ball! Ha! Remember when I caught one and threw it back, Dad?! Haha! That was honestly so funny! I still wish I would've kept it though...oh well. You redeemed us, right? I just want to reitterate how awesome it was to see those pics of Dallin and see how much he's grown! It really is quite a miracle to see what a Mission does to people. I'm sure his talk was amazing and he gave so much great insight and spiritually uplifting messages! I would love to hear him speak some Russian too! That would be pretty sweet! Yeah, I saw the pics of the chapel! It really is just starting to build itself now! At least that's what it looks like! I really do hope it'll be finished by February! That really will be cutting it close! They're really gonna have 3 wards there now?! Wow, that's pretty impressive! I'm seriously so excited to see how big and nice it'll be!
Yeah I know President Chan's son! He actually has a couple, and I know them both. They are in the Sha Tin Ward. When I was in Ma On Shan we lived with the Sha Tin Elders. That son was their Ward Mission Correlator for a while. We'd also play soccer together every Saturday as a Ma On Shan, Sha Tin, and Tai Wai combined activity. His sons were pretty good. But yes, I know them both very well. They're awesome guys, really. Thank you so much for those packages by the way! Susan, I can't tell you how much those shirts will come in handy and how much that candy will come in handy...for the Elders in my apartment mainly. Haha! They love you and are almost as grateful for you as I am! I want to thank you so very very much for sending me such great things all the time! I know it's not an easy thing to get all that stuff together and send it off with a fairly expensive sending fee, but I want to tell you how much I appreciate you for doing so! I love you all, Hastings Family, and you guys are such an amazing influence to me out here! Thank you for all you do! Thank you as well Momma for sending that package with lots of food and pictures and papers/stories! The food was once again distributed as if it were at a homeless shelter, and everything I pretty much needed to keep. Haha! I'm just kidding it's not that bad, but people really do jump all over me when I get stuff because they know how good your guys' packages are, and there's no way they're just passing that up! NO WAY! Also, I wanna thank you Dad for getting in touch with BYUI Admissions. I'll let the President Chan know as soon as possible. Thank you for all you do! Your love and support never goes unnoticed! I don't really have much time left, but just really quickly, my week was...well, kinda crazy. What's new?! So, last Thursday night, I had to go back to Hong Kong because my 30 days were up and I was just expecting to get another 20 when I come back, but that's not at all what happened. So, while I was in Hong Kong, I actually got to help out the International Elders and got a pullback for them too! We had to take 3 stops on the MTR to get back to the Church, so it was a pretty big miracle. Anyways, when I got back to Macau, they were looking at my Passport and had me go wait in a room with like a bunch of angry Mainlanders who were all smoking and yelling. It wasn't the funnest thing. So, I could here the people in charge, who were going over my Passport and information, talking about how I was a "Mormon" and that I shouldn't be here and they should just send me back to Hong Kong. I don't think they thought I understood, so they just completely layed it all with each other about me. They said a few other choice things about me and Missionaries that I'd can't share. They started speaking to me in really bad English, and then I was just like, in Cantonese, "just speak Cantonese, I understand everything you're saying and just said." They were pretty wide-eyed and I'm sure pretty embarrassed, but oh well. So, they told me that I had to go to Immigration and talk to them about my Passport situation and how much longer I can stay. So, I went there on Monday when it was open and after a FEW HOURS wait they finally just told me that I have only a week to get out of Macau. It's kindof sad, because the government here can just do whatever they want and can give you however many days they want, regardless of anything at all. I wish I could have had a say in it. The guy at the Immigration counter asked why I was here and I told him I was a church volunteer/Missionary and kinda bore a simple Testimony to him. I'm not sure if that made a difference, but I'm glad I did. So, the point is, I'm leaving Macau for good on Monday. I'm not sure where my next area will be or who my next companion will be but that's that. I'm a little bummed, but the Lord wants it to be like this, and I have no objection to that. It's pretty funny too, because the Sunday after I leave, we have a Baptism lined up for one of our investigators and he'll make it for sure. It seems like the areas I serve, I just prepare people for Baptism and then bounce right before I get to see them Baptized. I think it's pretty funny. But, I'm very very happy for this kid. His name is Ga Bouh and he has really come a long way. Elder Lau and I pulled him back to the Church one of my first days here and we've been working with him ever since. Elder Lau said that his entire time here in Macau, which is like 5 months, he's not had a Baptism. So, we're both very excited for Ga Bouh and his decision to come unto Christ. I also had to go back to Hong Kong again on Tuesday for a meeting for all Zone Leaders. We discussed our Zone's goals and how our Zone is doing. It was a great meeting and I learned so much! I was hoping I would possibly somehow get more days when I came back this time, but they still said I had to leave on Monday the 4th for good. Talk about a good 4th of July! So, since I'm leaving on Monday, today is my last P-Day here in "The Promised Land" so we'll probably hit up a decently cheap buffet and we're not really sure about the rest but it'll be fun. I'm excited to see what next week brings and the miracles that happen. Whatever happens, I know that the Lord is in it, and it will be according to His will and His ways. I love you all so much! Keep going! Keep moving forward! Until next week...Do what you do!
Love Always-
Elder Carey

1 comment:

The Careys said...

My time is up in Macau. My Visa expires on the 4th of July. I wish I could have stayed longer.