Chris's Mission Photo

Chris's Mission Photo

Welcome to Elder Carey's Blog

Elder Chris Carey 計長老
China Hong Kong Mission
18 Dorset Crescent
Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
Kowloon, Hong Kong







Famous statue in Hong Kong

Famous statue in Hong Kong
Great Art where ever you look

Need a snack?

Need a snack?
The daily staples

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas
Never ending gold Buddas

High 5 with the Big Budda

High 5 with the Big Budda
Enjoying P-day

Unity on the Island

Unity on the Island
The Macau Zone

Incredible Place

Incredible Place
Hong Kong Heritage

Thursday, March 10, 2011

If there's ever anyone who thinks Missions go by slow, THEY'RE DOING SOMETHING WRONG!

Hey Everyone!
Oh man, oh man, oh man...this week has gone by SOO INCREDIBLY FAST! I thought with having a new companion and trying to teach him the ropes of Missionary Work that it would go by a little slower...BOY WAS I WRONG! If there's ever anyone who thinks Missions go by slow, THEY'RE DOING SOMETHING WRONG! This time has flown by faster than any other moment of time in my life. Elder Poon keeps me working, that's for sure! So, maybe that's why time has gone by even FASTER this week. Things have been going so well here and I'm loving having him as a companion! FOR REAL! It kind of stinks sometimes when we both are confused on what the heck each other are saying, but it's pretty dang funny at the same time! I only speak to him in Cantonese and he very very rarely speaks English, so it's pretty funny when we both have no idea what's going on, or what the other is trying to say! Haha! I think this week has been one of my most successful weeks as a Missionary. I felt so much was accomplished, not because of our numbers or anything like that, but just because. Now that I've learned what it's like to be with a Native Companion and not knowing what they're saying sometimes, I felt I just had to lose myself in the Scriptures even more. My Personal Study is THE HIGHLIGHT of my day now because it really does set the rest of the day off, and really affects how your attitude will be that day. Attitude reflects character! I know that language isn't everything, and we are told in the Scriptures that we must first seek to obtain His word. I felt this past week, I have really done that more than ever. Elder Poon has taught me more about the Language, Culture, food and the people in this past single week, than any other entire month (AT LEAST)I've been on my Mission. There really no description the love I have for these people. They really are an inspiration to me and have taught me the importance of having the Gospel in my life. Even those who scold us on the streets, swear at us, throw things at us as they drive by, and refuse service to us when we go places to eat, I can still look them straight in the eye and say that I love them and care for them. I don't think I would've been able to do that a year ago. My love for the Savior, His Church, my Brothers and Sisters is truly beyond one's own comprehension. I am so grateful for the people here and their attitudes and examples towards me, be it good or bad. I feel I've learned from both sides so very very much. Elder Poon and I have gotten so many new investigators this week, we can't wait to continue leading them along the Savior's path. Anyways, it sounds like home is...well...not cheap. Gas is so expensive! That's crazy! I received the package from Steve and Cathy and boy was I blown away at what was inside! You guys really didn't need to do all that! Seriously! That's so much! I'm honestly giving like 3/4 of it to my apartment because they end up snagging it before I can even get to it in the firstplace. Besides, they need it a lot more than I do. They surely appreciate my families thoughtfulness for sure. I am so grateful for you guys and your prayers and support for me being out here. I loved reading your letters you sent! It sure made me reminisce about when I would often come to your place to hang out, go to UTE games and just be with family. Those were the days! Thank you guys so much! I love you! That's so good to hear that they're going to get started on the new Harbour Pointe Chapel soon! I was actually just going to ask about that today anyway. Do you think it'll be done before I get home? I'm not sure how much rent and utilities are for our apartment. It's all sent to the Mission Office I'm sure. I believe we get about (1700 Hong Kong) per month or so, which is not too much, considering we end up using like a third of it for travel. (242.00 US per month)We end up with about 40.00 per week or 5.00 per day for food. When we teach, it's mostly at the Chapel, which is pretty much in the city. That's how it's always been my whole Mission too. Sometimes it'll be at a park if we just met them on the street and are going to teach them. Those are always fun, especially opening and closing with a prayer and having everyone around look at you way funny and even sometimes laugh. You just smile and wave, they become scared and run off. Haha! Thank you so much for getting ready to send ANOTHER package! You're crazy Mom, you always are one thought and step ahead of me! I love you! Thank you so much! I know it's still early, but I just wanted to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD! I went back on the E-Mails in my inbox and read the one of your birthday last year and what Mom did for you! That's so funny! We'll see what happens this year! Anyways, I love you Dad and hope you have a great birthday! I'm thinking of you and praying for the business and your success in it each and every day. That's awesome about Stephanie! I love how you sent me a picture of it too, Sis! I'm so happy for you and your accomplishments working with Dad! Keep up the good work and stay focused! I love you Sis! Well, I think that about covers it this week. I hope and pray that everyone has a great upcoming week and is able to learn and grow a lot! I love you all so much and I am extremely thankful for all you do. Until next week...
Do what you do!
Love Always-
Elder Carey

1 comment:

The Careys said...

If there's ever anyone who thinks Missions go by slow, THEY'RE DOING SOMETHING WRONG! Oh man, oh man, oh man...this week has gone by SOO INCREDIBLY FAST