Chris's Mission Photo

Chris's Mission Photo

Welcome to Elder Carey's Blog

Elder Chris Carey 計長老
China Hong Kong Mission
18 Dorset Crescent
Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
Kowloon, Hong Kong







Famous statue in Hong Kong

Famous statue in Hong Kong
Great Art where ever you look

Need a snack?

Need a snack?
The daily staples

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas
Never ending gold Buddas

High 5 with the Big Budda

High 5 with the Big Budda
Enjoying P-day

Unity on the Island

Unity on the Island
The Macau Zone

Incredible Place

Incredible Place
Hong Kong Heritage

Monday, February 7, 2011

Happy Chinese New Year!!

Hey Everyone!

So, first of all, let me just say I'm sorry it took so long this week. We weren't able to E-Mail on Thursday because as a Mission we all went to Big Buddha, which is in Tung Chung, to celebrate just a bit of the New Year together as a Mission. Then, on Friday and Saturday the Library was closed because of the New Year; and we of course don't come on Sunday, so you're getting it today. Don't worry, I'll still E-Mail at the regular time this week, and possibly with a new companion...I'll find out tomorrow night! So that's why I'm so late in writing. I hope I didn't worry you AGAIN Mom. Dad, Steph...I'm sure you guys didn't really care or weren't too uneasy, so no worries there. Haha! Just kidding guys. I've got a lot to tell ya, but first I want to just talk about you guys and comment on some stuff that's going on back home. That's way sweet you guys were able to go to Colorado together for a "BUSINESS" trip. And why wasn't Steph or Bobby invited to this?...Haha! Just lookin out for ya sis! It's sounds like it was a blast though. That would've been way funny to take something to Bryce. I'm sure he would've loved that. Or even to TJ! Man, those guys are such good guys. I'm so excited to be there for them when they get back! That weather sounds so ridiculous but way fun at the same time...snow is where it's at! Send some Eastward towards me, would ya? That's so sweet that Elder Oliver's mom sent you guys a Chinese New Year's card. Speaking of him, I serve with him now in the same Zone! So, I actually get to see him quite often, which is pretty cool. We get to reminisce about Ma On Shan together and all the miracles we had as companions. Did it have money in it? There are random people in the Ward, Investigators, or even on the street that give you what are called "red packets" which have a good luck saying on the outside, but legit money inside! Elder Lee and I each reveived one just the other day from a member and it had 100 Hong Kong dollars in it, which is still quite a bit, even though it's Hong Kong. You can buy a lot with that amount of money here. So, that's definitely been fun to experience as part of the New Year's Celebration. Thank you so much for sending that stuff! It really means a lot to me. I'll be looking forward to it! Boy, it sure sounds like you guys are quite busy, Mom and Dad! Your callings sound like they're just getting more and more intense! But, it's always important to remember that the Lord qualifies those he calls. I know you will magnify and uphold your callings to the absolute fullest and best of your abilities, and that's all the Lord asks for. I can't believe Megan is engaged! That is so freakin awesome! You guys HAVE TO tell her congratulations for me! Man, I really wish I could see it, but that's ok. That's so amazing to hear though! I'm so truly happy for her! I'm sure the guy she's marrying will be the best for her. Please send her my wishes and my blessing. She is such a great person and one who truly cares about people almost more than anyone I know. What a great example she is for Sara and Emily. I'm excited to meet the guy when I return. Man, I'm just so excited and happy and absolutely thrilled for her! I can hardly contain it! That is so awesome! Well, how was the Super Bowl?...and the party that went with it?...and the commercials?...and everything else that's fun when it comes to dealing with Super Bowl time of the year?...Ok, so I guess I'll get started on my week now. So, late last Monday night...like a few minutes past the time we were supposed to be in bed...I get a call from President Chan...uh oh...Haha! Nah, just kidding. He said he would like to call me as a TRAINER! How sweet is that?! Just like what Elder Harper did with me! I actually get to train a new Missionary to adapting to how to do Missionary work! What an exciting, humbling, and thrilling experience all at the same time! It'll be during March, so I have time to prepare and get ready for this new Elder. It might even be a native too, which means I don't need to worry about the language or getting lost, or anything like that! It would also still be cool to do as Elder Harper did with me and have it be a brand new Elder who has NO IDEA what's even going on! Oh boy, I remember those days. I'm pretty sure it was only a couple of days ago though...yep yep that's it, just a couple of days ago. Either way, I'm WAY stoked to train. So, last week I had to attend a bunch of meetings with the rest of the leaders of the Mission, so that was uhh, well not fun, but...informative, I guess. After all the meetings were over that week, we went to Big Buddha on Thursday as a whole Mission! I HAVE to take you guys there as well! No joke! You would love it! It's a pretty traditional Chinese place, but also fairly touristy as well. It was so sweet seeing all the Mission together and having a blast at the biggest Buddha in China! (I think it is at least, but I could be wrong...either way it was still fun) The next day we went to the same spot where I went my very first P-Day here in Hong Kong. We went to where they play the light show every night to watch the fireworks that shoot off for Chinese New Year! Oh, we think 4th of July is intense!...You haven't seen ANYTHING until you see fireworks when they're in the hands of Chinese people! It was THE MOST AMAZING fireworks show I have ever seen in my life! There were more people there than I have ever seen at one spot in my entire life! And just an incredible time to spend with Elder Lee as we stood there, watching these fireworks, thinking to ourselves that we are doing the Lord's work here and NOTHING nor NO ONE can or will stop it from going forth! Don't worry, I took plenty of pictures and videos of it all, so it's all good. Afterwards, as we were walking back to our apartment, the police just completely closed down the streets so only people could walk! It was the craziest thing I think I've ever seen! SO MANY PEOPLE AND SO MUCH FUN! I'm so glad I can spend another Chinese New Year here in Hong Kong! This is the place to celebrate it for sure!...Mainland is good though too. I really feel like we're making good relationships with the TST Ward as well. There's probably about 120 or so in the Ward, which is WAY big for Hong Kong! Actually, I think TST has the biggest Ward in Hong Kong, now that I think about it. The Bishop and his family had us over for dinner the other night. He has a son serving here in Hong Kong whom I also served around while in Chai Wan. So that's fun to have him as my Bishop and tell him about how his son is doing. So, apparently one of Elder Lee's 5 older sisters lives in Washington, but he doesn't remember where. Anyway, she gave her brother Elder Lee her number to give to me to give to you guys because she knows you guys live there too and might want to meet up sometime. The work this week has been a little tougher because people, no matter where they are have NO TIME because of it being Chinese New Year. Even though it was really only celebrated Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, it's still that time of the year that people are gone and with family. I'd rather not take away from their family time either, since that is what we teach about, ya know? But, it should be a lot better this week, because of being representatives of Jesus Christ, we get to stress that importance to them of family, which is what I just LOVE doing! I wouldn't say it's harder than Ma On Shan, just different. I think every area in every Mission is just different from another. It all depends on your faith and the will of the Lord. That's really hard to understand sometimes too but if you do, it does help! The language is also coming very well. I'm loving speaking and loving hearing it more and more each day! Never IN MY LIFE, would I have thought that I would be speaking Cantonese! NEVER! I love it and I love learning about it and the culture. It's something that I would really like to continue and pursue when I return. Well, that's about all I got for this week. I'll be writing to you again on Thurday, so just be sure to respond to this one soon so I can respong to the next one on Thursday. I love you guys a ton! Thank you for your prayers and support and love. It definitely doesn't go unnoticed! I love you all! HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR! STAY HEALTHY! (It's something that EVERYONE says in Chinese but it sounds weird when it's translated directly, so that's the closest I could get) Haha!

Love Always-
Elder Carey

1 comment:

The Careys said...

Happy Chinese New Year.. The Year of the Rabbit. Being the year of the Rabbit, do you know where people go eat to celebrate? IHOP... It was on Jay Leno last week.