Chris's Mission Photo

Chris's Mission Photo

Welcome to Elder Carey's Blog

Elder Chris Carey 計長老
China Hong Kong Mission
18 Dorset Crescent
Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
Kowloon, Hong Kong







Famous statue in Hong Kong

Famous statue in Hong Kong
Great Art where ever you look

Need a snack?

Need a snack?
The daily staples

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas
Never ending gold Buddas

High 5 with the Big Budda

High 5 with the Big Budda
Enjoying P-day

Unity on the Island

Unity on the Island
The Macau Zone

Incredible Place

Incredible Place
Hong Kong Heritage

Monday, January 31, 2011

I sure remember 1 year ago.

Hey Everyone!
Boy, do I ever remember that! Are you sure that was a YEAR ago though?! I lose track of the days here so much that I'm not sure if it really was...oh well. I do remember that last night though...just laying in the bed in the hotel for hours, thinking...what am I getting myself into?...little did I know that it was going to be the biggest growing experience of my entire life, and moments and memories that one can only experience while serving the Lord, helping Him build the Kingdom. What a special honor and privilege it's been to do so. I can't even begin to explain the amount of things I've learned since being out here. It really is something one must experience for themselves. It just KILLS me to think that I'm already half way done...so I won't think about it anymore. Ha! So, I've done it...I've officially moved areas and moved into a new apartment. I now live with Elder Dastrup (he's one of my closest buds out here and he's from my younger group), who I lived with before for two moves, Elder McAllister, who is in Elder Harper's group and someone I've served close to basically my whole Mission, and my companion is Elder Lee. He is white, not Asian...just like the Stake President back home. He's from Springville, Utah and his parents' names are Mike and Colleen. His dad would LOVE to hear from you guys. Anyways, I love Elder Lee so much. He's so much fun, and HILARIOUS! We get along so well and constantly have a laugh about everything. He is such a funny guy. He graduated a year before me and went to UVU for a bit before he came out. He's only in his 4th move, so like 5 months in Hong Kong I think. We both like a lot of the same things and are willing to do whatever the other wants to at any time during the day. I love being with him so much. The only thing is that he's been here in Tsim Sha Tsui for 4 moves already and that's a pretty long time to stay in one area. The next moves is only in two weeks, and if he moves, then that means I better have gotten REAL acquainted with the area because someone new will be coming in. So, I'm not sure what's gonna happen. Whatever happens though, the Lord will take care of it for sure. So...about the area...it's probably the biggest area in the Mission...no joke. It's so big they have a set of Elders and Sisters for the Ward itself. The chapel is HUGE! It's has 4 floors with a basketball court on the top floor! Only our Ward and an International Ward go there. It's just that ours is so dang big! I've only met a couple of the members at FHE last night, but so far so good. We live in our area as well...the VERY FIRST time that's happened to me on my Mission! I have never lived in my area until now. It's in Mong Kok, and is basically the biggest tourist spot of Hong Kong. I was gonna bring you guys here a bunch when you come because I think you'd like to see it. I can't really describe it. It's kinda like an older, busier version of the Island, where I was born (Mission Born, that is). It's got the most famous streets in all of Hong Kong and is just FILLED with incredibly huge skyscrapers! The tallest building in Hong Kong (the one that Batman jumped off of in "The Dark Night") is in our area. I'm telling you guys, it's huge! It's so pretty though. I love this place to death! I hope I stay here a while and am able to get acquainted with the people and surroundings. I do have to say, I miss Ma On Shan though. It's completely opposite of this, that's for sure. The members there were SO GOOD! That will probably stand as one of my favorite areas of my Mission, regardless of where else I go...at least I think so. Ma On Shan is filled with trees, people who actually have A LITTLE time and is one of the cleanest areas in the Mission. But, Tsim Sha Tsui has some perks of its own as well. There are being TONS of places to eat for way cheap, so many tall and grand buildings and even MORE people to talk to, if you can believe it! It's just a matter of stopping them first. Ha! I'm not kidding though, I'm so glad to be here. This really was an answered prayer from the Lord. I wanted to see a lot of Hong Kong and that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm basically getting the full treatment here. I love it! It's good to hear that your toe is doing better pops! Just don't go for your 12 mile run each day anymore, k? It might be best if you cut it down a bit or maybe turned it into a walk, or something. Just kidding Dad. Love ya! I hope they can figure out what's wrong too, Mom. Sinus stuff has always been such a pain for me, and I'm sure it's the same for you. That sounds like a pretty sweet FHE you guys had. I'm sure they all loved it and Dad did an excellent job with the Lesson. He's just BOSS like that. Yeah, you heard me Dad! I hope the portion of the letter you guys read to them was decent. My English has gotten so bad since I've been out here. Ha! It's pretty funny. Luckily, I DO NOT have a Chinese accent, nor will I ever! Dang Mom, that's so cool you get to go to TREK! Ughh! I reminisce about those days a lot out here. I love telling people about it too! What an unforgettable experience. I hope Steph and Bobby and THE BOYS are all doing well too! I love you guys A TON and think of you each and every day! Continue to keep working hard and loving what you're doing! I love you guys! That is a good quote you sent. I've already read the whole Ensign a few times. I usually try and read each one that comes out each month, so don't worry...I'll be keeping up right along side with you Mom! I hope you all have an AWESOME week and continue to remember the Savior in all you do. After all it's because of Him we're even here right now. I love you all so very much! Until next week...Do what you do!
Love Always-
Elder Carey

1 comment:

The Careys said...

I soooo remember the night before I went into the MTC. It was just yesterday. It has been an incredible experience. What a special honor and privilege it has been to serve the Lord.