Chris's Mission Photo

Chris's Mission Photo

Welcome to Elder Carey's Blog

Elder Chris Carey 計長老
China Hong Kong Mission
18 Dorset Crescent
Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
Kowloon, Hong Kong







Famous statue in Hong Kong

Famous statue in Hong Kong
Great Art where ever you look

Need a snack?

Need a snack?
The daily staples

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas
Never ending gold Buddas

High 5 with the Big Budda

High 5 with the Big Budda
Enjoying P-day

Unity on the Island

Unity on the Island
The Macau Zone

Incredible Place

Incredible Place
Hong Kong Heritage

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

What a Golden Investigator we have found

Hey Everyone!

Man that's so sweet to hear that Conference is way good this year! I can't wait! For one, just for me, but also for all the investigators here in Hong Kong, as well as around the World! It's such a cool time for Missionaries and investigators to sit and listen to a Prophet of God speak to us. What an experience! I'm glad you mentioned it's focused towards faith and enduring to the end becuase that's exactly what our investigators need to hear, especially from the Brethren of the Church! It truly is faith that sets EVERYTHING in the Gospel off. Hey, I guess that's why it's the very first principle and ordinance of the Gospel. Oh, and of course, what's faith without enduring to the end? Nothing! Man, I'm way stoked! Luckily us Missionaries get to watch all the Sessions in English, and we just send our investigators with our Ward members, who watch it in a different room in Cantonese. It should be one never to forget! Oh boy Mom, I'm so ready for some of that salsa! The rest of my apartment is too! I told them about it, and they went nuts! Ha! They have no idea! The Young Womens Activity the other night sounds like it went over so well! That's so sweet you got to talk to Priscilla about Hong Kong a bit. I'm telling you guys, you really have no idea what it's like until you're here. Trust me! It's completely different from what you think it's gonna be like. I tried to imagine what it would be like before I left, thought I had a good idea, then I got to the MTC, and thought I had a good idea, but then I actually got here, and it was completely different from what I thought! You'll just have to see for yourself. Pictures don't say it enough. It's an incredible place. That's all I can say. The moon cakes we had were just the TRADITIONAL kind with a preserved duck egg in the middle. They make all different kinds. A few weeks ago, I had one that was way good becuase it was a Haagen Dazs ice cream! So, of course they're gonna taste different, but only the TRADITIONAL ones have the duck egg in the center, and it's NOT GOOD! Oh my goodness I can't believe you guys met Danielle from Tacoma EFY 3 years ago! Ha! That is seriously so funny! I so REMEMBER her! I remember how much she loved it and was just cracking up during our tryout! Oh man it was sooo hilarious! She made me laugh so much during it! She'll be a great Young Women's President for the Beverly Park ward for sure! I'm excited to meet her when I get back. Mom, that's so sweet you got set apart! I bet you are counting down the days to get released from your calling. I somewhat have a feeling of how hard it was for you. I'm glad the Lord is able to see your full potential and put you in a leadership position that is even bigger than what you were just in. I know you'll do an incredible job there, I just know it! As for me, this past week has been something pretty special. I'll start with the less important stuff first...Tuesday we all went to the Mission Office for flu shots, so I'm good for the next little while and no sickness...hopefully. I've also been able to keep playin ball the past few weeks and keep in shape. I think I'm toning up again, so no worries on getting fat anymore. That is out the window! Elder Oliver and I dominate pretty well together, along with all the other Elders in the apartment. We beat anyone who wants to play us. We're not going easy, just becuase we're Missionaries. They're not too bad either here, so I don't feel bad when we win. Ha! We've also been able to play with some of our investigators as well, which works out pretty sweet becuase then we get to have some fun while building that trust with them. I think that's one of the most important things Missionaries should do with their investigators. Building trust with them lets them know that we're also human, not robots out here sharing something about Christ, and we like to have fun as well. It helps them understand that the Church isn't just about going to Church and being serious all the time. If there's one thing I've found that helps a lot, is just being a friend to your investigator and loving them as a child of God who's thirsting for the Gospel at the same time. That leads into what I really wanted to tell you all... We contacted a guy about a week and a half ago just on the street, and we thought he might just be another person giving us a fake number and then would eventually be a lost cause, boy were we wrong! We've now met with him five different times which is very rare, considering most people here are extremely busy and say they "don't have time for Jesus." His name is Steven, he's 22 years old, and is a very mature guy. His family doesn't really have any religious beliefs, but he said they're not interested right now, which is ok becuase we'll just let the Gospel work through him clear to his family over time. Tuesday night, we met with him and talked about Tithing. He said he didn't know if he could keep that commandment becuase he is just like most Chinese people and cares too much about money. So we told him to pray about it becuase we obviously can't force him to keep the commandments. Anyways, we saw him again last night, and right when we opened the lesson, he said he had received an answer ALREADY and he knows, without a doubt, he must obey the Law of Tithing! WHAT?! That was truly a miracle! Right after the lesson, we went with Elder Loong and Elder Feigleson and played basketball with some other potentials, just building that trust even more! That was a quick summary of what happened, but I don't have time to tell it all as it happened. I can't really explain it through E-Mail becuase it's too amazing to describe! I love this work! AHHH! I LOVE IT! I love you all and I strongly appreciate all your support and love for me and my desire to serve the Lord. Until next week...Do what you do!
Love Always-
Elder Carey

1 comment:

The Careys said...

If there is such a thing as being prepared to find a Golden Investigator, then I guess all of the practice made us prepared. Steven is an awesome person.