Chris's Mission Photo

Chris's Mission Photo

Welcome to Elder Carey's Blog

Elder Chris Carey 計長老
China Hong Kong Mission
18 Dorset Crescent
Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
Kowloon, Hong Kong







Famous statue in Hong Kong

Famous statue in Hong Kong
Great Art where ever you look

Need a snack?

Need a snack?
The daily staples

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas
Never ending gold Buddas

High 5 with the Big Budda

High 5 with the Big Budda
Enjoying P-day

Unity on the Island

Unity on the Island
The Macau Zone

Incredible Place

Incredible Place
Hong Kong Heritage

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Mid-Autumn Festival

Hey Everyone!

It was so nice to hear from you this past week! I love getting your guys' E-Mails! This past week has been pretty intense for Hong Kong! It was one of the biggest holidays Hong Kong ever has each year! It's called Mid-Autumn Festival...lots of people stay up late, go outside with lighted see-through laterns of paper animals and designs, get together as families, and eat a TON of food! That also includes eating what are called "moon cakes." I'm not sure if you guys know what those are...but you either love them or you hate them...I wasn't one to be too fond of them...it's a chewy layer of who knows what on the outside and then a thousand year-old preserved duck egg on the inside. They're very traditional for Mid-Autumn Festival and EVERYONE eats them! So, of course I had to take a stab at it and try it...never again. THAT was probably one of the grossest things I've had since I've been out. It's comparable in disgustingness to that fish stomach I had my first move. EWWW! But it was so much fun to try and see what it's actually like, since I've always heard so much about it too! It was given to me at our last Ward F.H.E., and they even let me keep the box! I'll probably end up puting my character flash cards in there as a holder and reminder of just how special they are! Ha! That is so neat you guys got to go to the Temple and participate with the whole Stake! I can't wait to start going with you guys! It'll be the best! TREK sure sounds like it's starting to come along ALREADY! Holy cow, I can't believe it's already been that long since I went! It seems like just yesterday we took that LONG bus ride and had a blast doing it! Definitely an experience never to forget! Everything in the package sounds GREAT MOM! Thank you so much for sending all that stuff! It is much needed and I'm very very grateful for it! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I'll be sure to use those Halloween decorations to good use and dec out our apartment for sure! Everyone around us will KNOW we're American cuz we're celebrating such a weird Holiday that very few people know about here! Ha! Wow Grandpa! I can't believe you're turning 81! It seems like just yesterday we all met at Brick Oven and celebrated as a family! It's so weird how quickly time flys! I hope you have a wonderful birthday Grandpa and I hope you know YOU AS WELL AS GRANDMA ARE ALWATS IN MY PRAYERS DAILY, AS WELL AS PRAYED FOR HERE IN THE HONG KONG TEMPLE! I love you Grandpa and I'm so blessed and grateful to be able to call you MY GRANDPA! I LOVE getting packages from you guys, letters/pictures from her, and other letters from the Ward (The Browns, etc.) because it ALWAYS lifts my spirit and is honestly what keeps me waking up each and every morning. If I know my investigators are wanting me to teach them or meet with them, at least I know my friends and family back home are. Now that you mention General Conference, I'm also getting WAY excited as well! I remember you guys telling me..."You'll never love General Conference more than on your Mission..." I didn't think that would be true because you remember at home what it was like sometimes...hit the couch and I was out! Ha! I love it out here though! IT'S THE BEST! Especially when you have investigators to take to it and show them all the different General Authorities that speak, and let them listen to a living Prophet's voice! WHAT AN EXPERIENCE! Every time I receive something from my Ward here in Hong Kong, I always think of what you said about giving the Missionaries food because I know without a doubt that you're doing the same exact thing back home and that not a single Missionary in the World has to worry cuz he has the help of his family, the Ward, and most importantly, our Father in Heaven. I can't believe today is the LAST P-Day of the MOVE! WHAT?! It's crazy to think that I've been with Elder Oliver as Senior Companion for an entire move now! We'll find out if we both stay next Tuesday, so I'll let you guys know in the next E-Mail because that will be the start of the next move. Oh, and the reason I'm E-Mailing today is yesterday and mainly the night before, was the actual Mid-Autumn Festival and a bunch of people were gonna be out together as families or just out on the streets, so we decided to switch our P-Day to a less busy day. Don't freak out Mom! Haha! Don't worry, I'll remember who I am and I won't take any wooden nickels! (That one was for you Susan and Mom...still don't quite get it...) Ha! I love you all so very much and I thank you for your prayers! Until next week...Do what you do!
Love Always-
Elder Carey

1 comment:

The Careys said...

Mid-Autumn Festival... One of the biggest events of the year!