Chris's Mission Photo

Chris's Mission Photo

Welcome to Elder Carey's Blog

Elder Chris Carey 計長老
China Hong Kong Mission
18 Dorset Crescent
Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
Kowloon, Hong Kong







Famous statue in Hong Kong

Famous statue in Hong Kong
Great Art where ever you look

Need a snack?

Need a snack?
The daily staples

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas
Never ending gold Buddas

High 5 with the Big Budda

High 5 with the Big Budda
Enjoying P-day

Unity on the Island

Unity on the Island
The Macau Zone

Incredible Place

Incredible Place
Hong Kong Heritage

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

I wish I Could Make A Costco Run

Hey Everyone!
Where are the weeks even going?! This past week has been one to remember and that'll go down in the books for sure! I'll get to that a little later though. Back home it's sounding PRETTY WET, but hopefully you're all dealing with it like TRUE SEATTLEITES! Haha! It sure sounds like you're keeping yourself busy there mom! Holy jeez! Man, just having you mention COSTCO makes me miss those famous "COSTCO RUNS" we'd always do! There's not really anything like COSTCO here...not enough room! Haha! That's way cool that you guys continue to have the Missionaries over! They have no idea how lucky they are to have such a strong ward helping out with their meals. I did receive the package you guys sent me just yesterday, actually. I LOVED everything that was in it! The pictures, along with Calvin's talk especially! Just from the way they looked at the Temple, I can tell they're both going to be "THE BEST OF THE BEST!" Calvin's talk immediately brought a tear to my eye, and then I OF COURSE couldn't keep it together the rest of the time I was reading it! My roommates laughed at me, but I guess I just inherited your tender traits in that area, huh mom? Continue to send MORE AND MORE pictures! It's the best thing I ever find in the packages! Looking at those every single day is what gives me strength to go about that day. Each picture has such meaning and importance. Besides, I love showing my family and friends off to other Missionaries in the field! I think about half of Hong Kong has seen our family picture we took at Thanksgiving! Ha! I got it laminated and always show it to people when I contact them, teach a lesson, or meet members! I'm so INCREDIBLY proud to show off the GREATEST influence in my life to people! You guys really have NO IDEA! Everyone I show it to is always so stunned and taken aback at how beautiful the scenery is and how happy we all look! That's just how we do it in Seattle though! There's no other way we know how to be, other than surrounded by gorgeous sceneries and ALWAYS happy! I'll definitely be sharing all the treats with my roommates as well, so no worries! I'm not THAT greedy! Sunday was my very first time going to a member's home to eat. It was sure authentic...I'm not exactly sure what was in half the stuff we ate, but I kept with the Missionary spirit and just "ate it anyways!" It went so well though! I love communicating with our members because they are ALWAYS wanting to help you learn the language and help you truly become part of the Hong Kong people! My ward, especially, is so willing ALL THE TIME to help with anything the Missionaries ever need! I love them so much and they are such a welcoming people, it's almost too good to be true! That Copper River Salmon...don't even start...Haha! It's all good though. I'm still LOVING the food here and I don't think it'll ever get old! Besides, there's ALWAYS "NEW and DIFFERENT" things to try! Ha! Sunday was our Stake Conference, and we again had Apostles in attendance, one of which was President Hallstrom of the Presidency of the Seventy! He spoke, and then had someone translate for him. What an amazing spirit the Brethren bring to Hong Kong, and how lucky we all are to hear from them multiple times a year! He actually mentioned Missionaries and Missionary Work quite frequently! There were maybe half a dozen Missionaries there, along with a few hundred other Members, so we definitely STUCK OUT! Kinda like how two tall white people, walking down the street, dressed in white shirts and ties, surrounded by Millions of Hong Kong people do every day! Haha! Earlier this week, my new companion and I made cookies for a Less-Active Member and his family, where he is the only member in his family. They were stunned and couldn't believe that we would do something like that for them! We just kept insisting that we were thinking about them and they are in our prayers. I think that really touched them because there tears being held back from the love that was felt in the room. Chinese people don't really cry too much either, so that was something I hadn't seen for quite some time. We then, later that night, had another basketball find cuz I OF COURSE had to see if Elder Feigleson could BALL! We basically dominated anyone that crossed us, and showed them who's boss! I feel kinda bad sometimes when I block the people we play against, cuz well...they're not the tallest, but that's the game I guess! The rest of this week, I spent time showing Elder Feigleson our area, and getting him acquainted with the members and investigators. It's weird cuz neither of us necessarily feel like a Senior or Junior Companion. Since we're both so young in our Mission still, we just do the exact same amount of work together, which is actually helping us BOTH grow HUGELY together! We weren't really having much success with the people we were having lessons with because they would go back to their pastors, telling them about the Church, and well...you can only imagine what they said about it. It's frustrating sometimes how people really don't know what they're missing out on, but that's why we're here. Just last night, we were both feeling pretty down about all the lack of success we've been having, had just gotten back from a Multi-Zone Conference, and decided to go out finding just on the MTR for about an hour before we had to be back in for the night. We both didn't really want to, but decided to give it a try. I didn't want to bring a copy of the Book of Mormon with me, but just thought I should anyways, even if I didn't give it out. As we were waiting for the MTR, a guy came up to us, asked us if we spoke Cantonese, we said yes, and then I asked him if he spoke English, but he didn't. We continued to teach him on the MTR until he got off, and found out that his younger brother is a member, but he never really had any interest until now. He eagerly wanted to know what the book I was carrying was about. My companion and I both bore powerful Testimonies on The Book Of Mormon and it's TRUTHFULNESS! We exchanged numbers, and told him we'd love for him to come to Church on Sunday and that we'd love to teach him! HE AGREED!!! I honestly know without a doubt in my mind that that experience was EXACTLY what I neeeded at that EXACT moment in time! I LOVE THIS GOSPEL AND I LOVE THIS WORK! Until next week...Do What You Do! Oh, and yes, I do get Steph's E-Mails, but haven't had much time to respond, I PROMISE I will next week! I LOVE YOU STEPH!
Love Always-
Elder Carey

1 comment:

The Careys said...

What A BOOST Right When I Needed It!

Chris has settled in and loves all of the support that everyone sends his way. Please accept our THANKS on his behalf for any packages or letters that you send his way. He is limited on time writing each week but you are in his prayers as he is in yours. From our family to yours WE LOVE YOU and please..enjoy these letters as if they are written directly to you... Love your Seattleite Carey Family.