Chris's Mission Photo

Chris's Mission Photo

Welcome to Elder Carey's Blog

Elder Chris Carey 計長老
China Hong Kong Mission
18 Dorset Crescent
Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
Kowloon, Hong Kong







Famous statue in Hong Kong

Famous statue in Hong Kong
Great Art where ever you look

Need a snack?

Need a snack?
The daily staples

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas
Never ending gold Buddas

High 5 with the Big Budda

High 5 with the Big Budda
Enjoying P-day

Unity on the Island

Unity on the Island
The Macau Zone

Incredible Place

Incredible Place
Hong Kong Heritage

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

First Baptism in the Chai Wan Ward in a Long Time

Hey Everyone!
Wow you guys have been busy this past week! I guess that's how the weeks end up going by so fast though! Hey, maybe that's why my Mission is flying by too! Haha! I'm so glad to received my package! I wasn't quite sure how to send it, or even what to send...so i just sent everything I thought you'd want...MOM! Ha! You're right though, you did teach me well. I'm trying to take AS MANY pictures as I can EVERYWHERE I go! I DON'T want to forget this time spent here! I'm already filling up another "SD" card so get ready for another coming within the next month or two. It truly is a glorious city filled with ALL DIFFERENT kinds of people...LET ME TELL YOU! It's like when you'd go to the fair, or to the mall, and see all sorts of people...but multiplied by like a hundred! Haha! It's definitely a tourist city, along with a getaway place for people from all over the Middle-East, Philipines, Indonesia, EVERYWHERE! I love having every single day turn out to be COMPLETELY different from the day previous! That's kinda what I struggled with in the MTC. It's like Groundhog Syndrom there...you know like Groundhog Day! Ha! K, that was dumb. But anyways, I can very much relate to what Calvin is going through right now. He just needs to love them NO MATTER WHAT! The days go by faster, the work improves, you have more of a desire to share the Gospel, and your unity and relationship will improve without even knowing it! Patience is huge, I've found, in Missionary Work! Whether if it's with a stubborn companion, a frustrating investigator, someone who yells at you on the street (not saying too good of things in Cantonese or English), and with the Lord. Everything happens for a reason, and the Lord is testing our patience whenever we feel upset or frustrated with the way things are going. It just takes time. It will ALL work out for the best! That's way cool about Dr. Lau's oldest daughter! I actually do think about them quite a bit and wonder if I'll ever see them here! Haha! It's amazing how often I think about the Thong Family and the Jahng Family, as well! I all of a sudden have an immediate love for these people, no matter what they may say back to me. I know their a child of our Heavenly Father, JUST LIKE ME! They need the Gospel MORE THAN EVER! What you did for the girls moving to Relief Society, Mom, sounds like quite an experience and a fun, but exhausting one at that! They're gonna remember that for the rest of their lives GUARANTEED! I promise you they will. I've remembered so much more that my leaders did for me growing up. I just needed time to mature and really truly think about how I got to where I am today. It was all thanks to them, but most importantly you, Mom, Dad, and Steph! I WOULD NEVER be where I am right now if it weren't for you guys! I love you with all my heart and reflect on what you've done for me each and every single day! Especially when I contact a family that looks so happy, and would be EVEN happier to live together for eternity! I most definitely can see Lindsay when she comes, especially if it will help strengthen her Testimony, seeing Missionaries from where she's from! It just can't be too prolonged though. Just keep me updated on when she comes exactly, where I can meet her, and stuff like that. In my first move here I wrote my E-Mails from the Hong Kong Central Library (There's a picture of me there), but now I do it at a nearby convention center. It's a lot closer and easier to get a computer. They time us, and we only have one hour to read and write. It's all good though because that's a LOT LONGER than what I got in the MTC! I can definitely feel for Calvin and Bryce!
Ok, now for my week...Last P-Day we went Bowling as a Zone, and boy was it fun! Haha! It was so funny seeing a bunch of white Missionaries get together at a Bowling Alley in Hong Kong, with tons of small Hong Kong people around us bowling as well! Oh man, it was a sight to be seen! Last Monday, we taught a Less-Active, whose wife isn't a member, along with his mother, who also lives with them. As we were getting to their apartment, the guard at the bottom wouldn't let us up because we were Missionaries...maybe cuz we were white too, I'm not sure...Haha! But, as we were trying to explain to her that we were meeting someone (ON THE 36th FLOOR AT THAT.) It turns out his younger sister, who is from Salt Lake City shows up at the bottom, and calls for us to go up with her! The guard wasn't too pleased after that...Haha! So we taught him, his wife, and his mom. His sister helped us teach them too! It was way cool and we were there for over 2 hours, just building trust with their family, getting to know them, and sharing this wonderful message of the Restored Gospel! Tuesday, I had my second interview with President Chan! He is such a nice man! I don't know how he was every a Police Chief! Police are usually not too nice...Oh, and I forgot to tell you guys...this past week I've been doing an "English Fast" with my companion! That means NOTHING but Cantonese for an entire week! It's been SOOO HARD, but so effective too! I even did my interview with President Chan in Cantonese! He was pretty impressed, so that's good! Yesterday, we helped a Less-Active move a piece of furniture out of her apartment, and she then took us out to lunch at THE BEST place! It was to Korean BBQ! You get raw meat and place it on a huge burner in the middle of the table and cook your food! It's been the best food I've had since I've been in Hong Kong! All the Missionaries in the Mission ALWAYS talk about KOREAN BBQ! Haha! It's raining pretty hard today, so we're not gonna do much outside. We were gonna go on a hike, but we'll save that for next week. We'll probably just clean our apartment. This upcoming week is gonna be PRETTY BIG! Tomorrow we have a HUGE Zone Find in mine and my companion's area! That means that everyone in the whole Zone (About 30 people) will go finding with us! I put together a small game/competition to help get their fire started and want to share the Gospel like crazy! Guess what the topic is?! FAMILIES!!! I'm gonna be mentioning you guys a lot when I explain it, Mom, Dad, and Steph! I bet the whole Mission knows you guys by now! I talk about you so much! Tomorrow my "English Fast" also ends, so I get to start communicating in my "Native Tongue!" Haha! I'm not sure why I said it like that, but oh well. We also have 24 hour Exchanges tomorrow night as well, right after our big Zone Find. Next week on Thursday we have a BAPTISM! A couple different Elders before me taught her, so they're gonna baptize this one 27 year-old girl, and her older sister. They've investigated the Church for quite some time now, but are now realizing it's importance! We're so happy we get to fellowship them into our Ward, and get our Area back on it's feet! Just a few things before I go...Last Monday during Personal Study, I read the talk President Monson gave in Priesthood about the young man who hadn't received any letters from his family...I broke down in the middle of it in deep gratitude I have for you guys and your willingness and support in continuing to communicate with me and love me. I love you guys so much! I have a quote..."A Missionary is one who leaves his family for two years, so other families can be together forever." You guys mean more to me than anything in this entire world and I will always love you no matter what! Do what you do!
-Elder Carey

2 comments:

The Careys said...

Quote From Elder Carey--
A Missionary is one who leaves his family for 2 years so other families "Can Be Together Forever".

The Careys said...

Welcome to Elder Carey's blogspot.

This is what you will receive when a new item or update is posted on Elder Carey's blog.