Chris's Mission Photo

Chris's Mission Photo

Welcome to Elder Carey's Blog

Elder Chris Carey 計長老
China Hong Kong Mission
18 Dorset Crescent
Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
Kowloon, Hong Kong







Famous statue in Hong Kong

Famous statue in Hong Kong
Great Art where ever you look

Need a snack?

Need a snack?
The daily staples

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas
Never ending gold Buddas

High 5 with the Big Budda

High 5 with the Big Budda
Enjoying P-day

Unity on the Island

Unity on the Island
The Macau Zone

Incredible Place

Incredible Place
Hong Kong Heritage

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

What a Powerful week!

Hey Everyone!
I hope and pray all is well back home and that you're all enjoying life to the fullest! Well, this past week has truly been AMAZING! Last P-Day our whole apartment went to go see the Light Show they put on every night. It was WAY COOL and I took lots and lots of pictures! Oh and a short little video too. Ha! The next day we had Zone Conference where we discussed the importance of the Book of Mormon and how much we NEED to be using it in everyday teaching, finding, and study. It was so good and I was actually able to see a bunch of Elders from my older District in the MTC! It was so sweet to see them and see how they were doing, where they were serving, and the large amounts of success they've had! Later that night, we held an ENGLISH CLASS! The Missionaries here have been doing it for a while but haven't been able to get a ton of people to come, so now we're inviting EVERYONE we talk to on the streets to come and be a part of it. People here jump all over because everyone wants to learn English and other English classes can cost a lot of money, but ours is FREE of course! Plus, then we get to share a message with them at the end! It works out so well because we just have it in one of the Primary rooms in the building where we go to Church. There's pictures of Christ and Baptism all over the place and they're always so curious! Haha! It's perfect! We also met with Susan a few times this past week and discussed the importance of the Baptismal Interview questions. She already passed them, but just still has trouble fully coming out and saying that this is the ONLY TRUE CHURCH! She believes everything about it is true, but thinks there's other Churches out there with all truthfulness as well. We pray for her everyday harder than ever, hoping the Holy Ghost will tell her that this is the ONLY correct Church on the Earth, and ever will be! Church went so well again and I actually understood more than I thought I would again! This language is the hardest thing I've EVER done, but with the companionship of the Holy Ghost, it is more than just possible. I KNOW I can, and will, do it! So, on Tuesday, Elder Loong and Elder Merrill had a "Service Opportunity" scheduled, but weren't able to go due to a Lesson they already had scheduled as well. So, my companion and I filled their spot in the "Service Opportunity." My companion and I get to this HUGE tower, that's way nice inside and with over 50 floors, all of which are beauty supply shops, and health care facilities. Kinda weird...So we get to the floor we need to and this lady greets us, tells us to sit down, and goes off in SUPER FAST Cantonese! My companion hardly got anything she said! Then, she slides two papers in front of us and tells us to sign and date them. Ok...(Keep in mind that we thought we were helping older people and senior citizens) Then, she leaves we talk about what we should do...I said we should bail, but he said let's just stick it out and see what happens. So, we sign them and they take us to this room with like twenty other people sitting in these chairs with an electrical pad on the seat and one on the floor, with a computer-looking thing next to it. Before they gave this presentation, they told everyone to turn them on, but my companion and I looked at each other, and were like, "Uh...no." So we just sat and watched as everyone else had electric shocks run through their body, apparently to stimulate them or something. I'm not even sure. So, an hour goes by and everyone gets up feeling all revived, energized, and ready to go! Apparently it was a bunch of Christians that met together to test out this new machine that helps people, who had just had a stroke, or who are older and can't walk very well. So they thought, "Let's SHOCK them, and see if that gets them up and walking!" Then they wanted us to go back and tell people in the Ward about it and that they should buy one NOW! So at this point, we're just wanting to get outta there and go finding, or SOMETHING! As we're leaving, this lady who began and closed the meeting with a prayer (who was a very devout Christian) stopped us and asked how we liked it. We said we weren't really a fan, but that we were glad they invited us and let us watch. She then began telling us that our Religion is wrong, we shouldn't have another book, the ONLY reason we're "Mormon" is because our parents a members, and that as soon as we do find the truth, that it will set us free...and then she raised her hands up in the air and waved them around like people do when they say that line. It was SOOOO HARD not to say anything back to her, but my companion and I both held our tongues, and just walked away. She wanted to bash so bad, but we weren't gonna have it. We prayed for her right when we got back to the apartment that night. Haha! So that was our "Service Opportunity" that the other Elders gave to us. We made sure we thanked them. Haha! It was an experience though and one that will definitely be remembered. Yesterday and the day before, my companion and I also went on a few Basketball Finds! Wow those are soo much fun! We went up to a group of guys, asked if they wanted to play, and then shared a message with them after! It's such a unique, fun way to get people interested in the Church! My companion and I owned everyone of course! Haha! Oh, and on Sunday, I had the opportunity and privilege of offering my VERY FIRST blessing in Cantonese! It was so INCREDIBLY spiritual and peaceful! It was for Susan, because her fingers were killing her and wasn't able to use her cain to walk, so she had to be pushed in a wheelchair. After the blessing, which was after Church, she went home and IMMEDIATELY felt perfectly fine! She called us right when she got home saying how much of a miracle it was and how grateful she was! The Priesthood is SO POWERFUL and SO STRONG and SO REAL!!! I love it and cherish it each and every day I'm serving His children. I'm meeting sooo many different kinds of people here and I'm loving EVERY SINGLE ONE of them! I can't even describe to you how much they mean to me and how much I care for them! Just looking into their eyes, knowing that they are litteral children of our Father in Heaven is simply astounding! I honestly can't put into words how much they mean to me. I pray for ALL OF YOU all day long, whether it's in my heart, or on my knees. Just know that I'm thinking of you in one way or another. I love you all so very much and so very much appreciate all you continue to do for me. I can feel your love and prayers clear from here!Have an AMAZING week and I'll talk to you all next week! THANK YOU!!!
So, my black, Hugo Boss suit that I have isn't in too good of condition. It began to get some holes in the pants in the MTC, I had the people there fix them, it got more holes since I've been here, had them fixed, and now has more holes. I think the fabric is just beginning to get extremely thin because you can almost see right through it when you hold them up to anything. So, I think I'm going today to look at for a new suit, since it's P-Day, and find a cheap, but decent quality one. I talked with Elder Loong, who's been out over a year and he said most suits here are under 100 dollars American. I took money out of my personal account yesterday, in case they didn't accept cards and I'll just pay with cash. So, that's why there's so much money gone out of there at once if you were wondering. Wearing the same suit every single day begins to get pretty gross, since we still have to wear them, and can't just go in white shirts quite yet. Oh, and the clippers you sent don't seem to be working...I had to use my companions'. I tried different plugs and nothing still. So, could you put more money on my card so I can buy some here and then still have money left over in case of emergencies or anything. THANK YOU SO MUCH! Could you also send a bunch of just food and snacks too? I always run out of food by the end of the week and can only spend so mcuh when we buy groceries. I guess no one here really eats that much. Ha! THANK YOU!!!

1 comment:

The Careys said...

What a Powerful week!