Chris's Mission Photo

Chris's Mission Photo

Welcome to Elder Carey's Blog

Elder Chris Carey 計長老
China Hong Kong Mission
18 Dorset Crescent
Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
Kowloon, Hong Kong







Famous statue in Hong Kong

Famous statue in Hong Kong
Great Art where ever you look

Need a snack?

Need a snack?
The daily staples

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas
Never ending gold Buddas

High 5 with the Big Budda

High 5 with the Big Budda
Enjoying P-day

Unity on the Island

Unity on the Island
The Macau Zone

Incredible Place

Incredible Place
Hong Kong Heritage

Friday, April 16, 2010

First Letter from Hong Kong

Hey All!
Holy cow I'm actually here!!! It's humidity again! This is such an amazing place! Just in the short amount of time I've been here, I've seen people who are needing to hear the Gospel more than anything in their lives! What a tremendous blessing and privilege it is to give it to them! I honestly can't even begin to describe to you the happiness I have felt from just this short amount of time serving Him and His children. This is undoubtedly the greatest work to ever have come forth! I can't believe they are able to fit this many people in such a small place! This apartment buildings just keep going up, and up, and up! The one that I'm in, I'm actually ONLY on the twentieth floor. No big deal or anything. So right when we flew in, I was already pretty jet-lagged and felt like I needed A LOT of sleep, but no time for it. The Mission President, his wife, and the A.P.'s met my District and I at the airport, once we made it through Customs. What a process that was! Haha! President Chan is actually a lot shorter than I imagined, but then again, so is everyone else in Hong Kong! It's pretty funny when I get on the MTR or a bus, every single person is touching one another, looking at them face-to-face, and there I am...a whole head and a half taller than everyone else! Haha! I love it though! It gives the Gospel ONE MORE way to stand out! They took us to the Mission Home, or also the Temple, for a quick overview about the Mission itself, the importance of our call to the China, Hong Kong Mission, our future trainers, and a few other random customs and things we should know in general about Hong Kong and the amazing people here. I'm not gonna lie, a few times my eyes were just glazed over and it probably looked like I was sleeping with my eyes WIDE OPEN! It was probably pretty funny to everyone else. We had lunch at the Temple, which Sister Chan prepared. It was just burgers and chips. So, probably the most American thing I'll ever eat while I'm here. I guess they wanted to give us one last American meal before we eat traditional Chinese food for the next two years. My whole District and I then went with the A.P.'s and Zone Leaders of that area by the Temple, which is just the Kowloon Area, and went finding right off the bat! They placed a Book of Mormon in our hands, gave us an hour to go finding, and said, "Don't come back without placing this in someone else's hands." So, that was our goal...Not only did me, Elder Welling, and an A.P. place all of our copies, but we also taught a lot more people, leaving them with pass along cards and pamphlets! It was BY FAR the most amazing experience I've had yet since I've been out! The feeling of actually talking to these sweet, kind, gentle people is unlike anything else, especially when they want to hear what you have to say...even if they need to be pushed to do so! This really ISN'T the same language I learned in the MTC AT ALL, but I'm already starting to pick it up and understand more and more each time I talk to them. When we returned back to the Temple (Mission Home), we ate dinner, and were then assigned our TRAINERS! I prayed for mine LONG before I met him in this life (cuz I can guarantee I met him in the life before), and I KNOW my prayers were answered. My trainer's name is Elder Harper. He is from San Diego, California. He loves anything dealing with the outdoors and loves to play basketball...we're gonna get along alright. He has such a love for the people that I can't even describe. I am patterning what I've been doing after what he's been doing, making sure I don't change who I am though. Once we all figured out our trainers, my District had to be split up for once in three months of being together. It was tough, but we did it. It just so happens too that Elder Merrill is, not only in my same apartment complex, not only my same apartment room, but in my same apartment bedroom. So, I guess it's almost like a reunion with him and I each time we go back to the apartment and see each other! Haha! There's only four Elders in my apartment, which also makes up our entire District as well. So we're all pretty tight and have a lot of District unity already. Today, my companion and I went to talk with an investigator, who just recently had a stroke and is in a nursing home for old people, even though she's only in her 40's. Her name is Susan. Her English isn't too bad, but I can almost understand her more when she speaks Cantonese than when she speaks English. The Missionaries have been teaching her for the past 5 months, and haven't committed her to a Baptismal Date because she hasn't felt like she's been ready enough to accept such a tremendous leap of faith. That's the thing though, her faith in INCREDIBLE! She believes and knows everything that we taught her is true and knows Baptism is the right thing to do, but her mom and her younger brother are strongly against the Church. Her mom was there while we were teaching her and would speak up every now and then, saying that she shouldn't be baptized and that we're crazy and that she doesn't beleive that we honestly believe in what we're teaching. Then, the Spirit of the Holy Ghost entered the room faster and just as strong as I've ever felt before! She was then quiet, we finished teaching Susan, and she committed to be baptized on May 24th. It's still a little ways away, but that gives her more time to feel comfortable with her decision. I love this Gospel and I KNOW it to be true! Nothing, or nobody, can tell me my Testimony and what I believe in because I have recieved confirmation from our Heavenly Father that it is, without a doubt true! I love you all and can't wait to give you a report on the upcoming week! My P-Days are on Thursdays, so I guess that would be Wednesdays for you. That's when you'll get my next E-Mail. Thank you for all you do and all your prayers! I feel them each and every day, and so do the people of Hong Kong!
Love-
Elder Carey

2 comments:

The Careys said...

I am in Hong Kong and I can see for miles. Nobody blocks my view......

candlezona said...

Chris, you are simply unbelievable...so inspiring to me! Through reading each of your letters, my expectations have climbed increasingly higher. Yet, every time I read a new one I'm blown away!! You are the BEST example Ian could ever have and I'm so thankful for you.
I bet you thought you'd just be teaching Asian people, huh? Hardly! Taileigh, Natasha, Ian and I are spiritually fed through every letter you write, as I'm sure everyone else who reads them is also. We love you so much and you're in our prayers daily. The people of Hong Kong are extremely blessed to have you there to LOVE and teach them <3