Chris's Mission Photo

Chris's Mission Photo

Welcome to Elder Carey's Blog

Elder Chris Carey 計長老
China Hong Kong Mission
18 Dorset Crescent
Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
Kowloon, Hong Kong







Famous statue in Hong Kong

Famous statue in Hong Kong
Great Art where ever you look

Need a snack?

Need a snack?
The daily staples

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas
Never ending gold Buddas

High 5 with the Big Budda

High 5 with the Big Budda
Enjoying P-day

Unity on the Island

Unity on the Island
The Macau Zone

Incredible Place

Incredible Place
Hong Kong Heritage

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

MTC email 4

Hey Everyone! MTC email 4 02/24/2010
How's it going?! I've been thinking A LOT about you guys this week! I've been learning as much as I can in the language, but with being sick it's kind of hard to keep up with everyone. I'm doing my best though, and I know it's just another test of faith! So, they had me go back to the doctor the day after they diagnosed me with Bronchitis, and it actually did turn out to Pneumonia. What an adventure that's been! I've been laying low, not really doing too much at gym and drinking TONS of water, and I feel like it's definitely been helping. They had me on a "Z-Pack" the first five days, and then another antibiotic that I have to take three times a day with meals. Oh, and they gave me Promethazine for when I'm really having those 'oh so fun' coughing spasms. It's all good though and I'm chugging along as best I can! I love the Lord SO MUCH and I'm so grateful for this trial He's given me, so that my faith can only be strengthened from here on out!
The older District, that is also going to Hong Kong, leaves on Monday. They got here six weeks before us, and have really helped us out when we've needed it. There's going to be another one coming in, not this Wednesday, but next Wednesday. I'm really looking forward to being the older District, and having a bunch of people really look up to you. There's five people in the older District that are leaving Monday, seven in my District, and THIRTEEN in the District that's coming in! That's a big District!
This is our last week of teaching the Lessons in English. Next week, we start teaching in CANTONESE!!! How crazy is that?! I'm so scared, but way excited, and feel so blessed to be learning such a unique, beautiful language. Hey mom and dad, I remember looking at those phrases online in Cantonese, and listening to how fast they spoke and how complicated it sounded, and I realized now that I'm doing exactly what they were already! The Spirit of the Lord touches lives here. It's touched mine, and regardless of this minor setback of an illness, I'm still learning and teaching faster and more efficiently than I ever would outside of a Mission. The Gift of Tongues is more prevalent now than EVER! WHAT A BLESSING!
I was so happy to hear that you've been going to the Temple, mom! I'm so lucky and so extremely blessed to have you in my life, and to have you caring for other's souls and their eternal salvation. You're seriously the best! Every single time I go, I picture you and dad right there next to me, just like the first time we went.
There are three Elders total in my room, and four others in the room right next to me that account for our entire District. They are bunk beds, and I sleep on top, while my companion sleeps on the bottom, and another Elder sleeps on the bottom of the other set of bunk beds.
Elder Ng is the one that sleeps on the other set in our room. (I didn't misspell that) He is from England and is half Chinese. His dad is from Hong Kong, while his mom is from England. It's fun to hear him talk because it's a Chinese man with an English accent. Pretty cool! Oh, and I don't need any pictures printed off from the "SD" card I sent home. I already printed some off from the bookstore here. Thanks though! I'm going to be sending home a bunch of stuff before I leave for Hong Kong. One of which is my raincoat that I got. It's going to be too hot, as well as a few other things. I got both packages you sent. THANK YOU SO MUCH! I really appreciate it mom and dad! I love you guys so much and think about you every single day! You are in every one of my prayers and I'm forever grateful for everything you do for me! I'm so blessed to have parents like you and to have a family like this one. WE WILL be together forever, and what a joy that will be! Thank you for all you do and continue to do! You guys are the greatest!
Love your dearest Elder Carey!

No comments: