Chris's Mission Photo

Chris's Mission Photo

Welcome to Elder Carey's Blog

Elder Chris Carey 計長老
China Hong Kong Mission
18 Dorset Crescent
Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
Kowloon, Hong Kong







Famous statue in Hong Kong

Famous statue in Hong Kong
Great Art where ever you look

Need a snack?

Need a snack?
The daily staples

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas

The path of Ten Thousand Buddas
Never ending gold Buddas

High 5 with the Big Budda

High 5 with the Big Budda
Enjoying P-day

Unity on the Island

Unity on the Island
The Macau Zone

Incredible Place

Incredible Place
Hong Kong Heritage

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Elder Carey 1st MTC email

RECEIVED 02/17/2010

WOW!!! What a tremendous blessing it is to be here right now! This is truly one of the greatest places in the world! So how is everyone??? There's not a moment that's gone by that I haven't thought of you guys. You are always in my prayers! The MTC is THE BEST! I really don't understand how some Elders and Sisters can't enjoy it. The Spirit here is incredibly strong, the food is great (Thanks Andrew!), everyone is so nice, humble, and genuine, and you get to go to the Temple every week! What could possibly be better?! Well besides seeing you guys of course! Oh man I absolutely love my companion, my District, my Zone, and even the people of Hong Kong, despite meeting them yet! My companion's name is Elder Matthew Merrill. He is so smart! Holy jeez! He graduated in 2006 as a 15-year old, and is triple majoring and double minor. He already attended two and a half years at BYU! I'm sure he could've chosen a better school, but we won't hold that against him, for now at least...right Carey family?! Haha! He's awesome though and so uplifting all the time! His address is 845 W. 2000 N. Mapleton, UT. 84664. I'm also way close to another Elder in my District and his name is Elder Spencer Welling. Just guess where he lives...Holladay, UT!!! He went to Olympus and said he knew who Andrew was! I had to show him a picture and he went nuts cuz he knew someone that I knew! His address is 2732 E. 6200 S. SLC, UT. 84121. He is so funny and always, no matter what, has the Spirit with him. He's such a great example to me and my District. Oh, and then there's an Elder, who's from England that is Chinese. His dad is from Hong Kong and his mom is from England. So he has an English/Chinese accent! It's pretty cool! I hear I'm going to be getting a lot of those in Hong Kong! His name is Elder Ng. (Not Misspelled) The rest of the Elders in my District are all great and always obedient to all the rules, so it's never an issue to disobey the Zone Leaders or MTC rules. I'm very thankful for that. AHHH!!! I just love being here so much that there's almost too much to say! The language is insanely hard, but so much more rewarding than I ever thought possible. It's such a blessing to be able to learn, hear, and write this beautiful language. I can now offer prayers, bear my Testimony, introduce myself, the Church, and get to know someone in Cantonese! WOW! What an honor it is to be speaking it! Other Elders and Sisters are just in complete shock when my companion and I start speaking to them in Cantonese! It's just such an incredible blessing to even be here right now! I just barely got back from the Temple and boy oh boy was it good! The Spirit of the Lord is always so strong there. We're so privileged to have a Temple so close to the MTC and one in Hong Kong! My teachers are awesome as well! We have two that normally teach us. One is a native from Hong Kong and she teaches us characters and pronunciation. She went on a Mission to Washington D.C. Mandarin Speaking, but knows Cantonese and English as well. We also have a teacher that served his Mission in Hong Kong and just got back a year and a half ago. He mainly teaches us church doctrine and sentence structure with the language. I hope everything at home is going well! I pray for EVERYONE INDIVIDUALLY each and every day! I HAVE NEVER PRAYED THIS MUCH BEFORE!!! Prayers are answered too! The Gift of Tongues is real and powerful! Never would I have ever learned this much in a language if I were in school. I love you all so very very much and I know I'm still there with you in Spirit, just as you are here with me in Spirit. I feel it day in and day out. This Gospel is true. Jesus is the Christ, and He lives! He is the only one capable of carrying out the Atonement for us. Oh how I love serving Him!!! This is such a blessing to me, and I know it will bless many other lives to come. The Book of Mormon is true and Joseph Smith truly was a Prophet, who translated it from the word of God. Families CAN be together forever! I LOVE YOU ALL!!!
Love-
Your Dearest Elder Carey

No comments: